I spent the weekend coding and relaxing. I got a whole day to myself as a father's day present and I took as much advantage of it as I could. After a few hours I had basic text editing working, left, right, up, down, home, end and adding text at the cursor. I was feeling good.
Then I hit a brick wall. Pango kept returning a NULL whenever I tried to move offscreen! And I couldn't figure out the distance to scroll because it returned a NULL as well! It took me a while but I finally realized I need to restructure my data into lines. The layout object isn't really meant for how I am using it. Last night I didn't get any time, after bills and chores and such. I hope to have a basic system working in a few days.
But that brings me to another point: I still need to work on the REPL before I move to the next phase. And it seems like the hardest part of my project. Oh well, I'm trying not to lose hope and just to work on what is in front of me.
Anyway, here is a screenshot of a *gasp* word processor: