Thursday, August 5, 2010

Why isn't Qix done yet?

It might seem odd that I can do charts and pictures but have trouble writing code. The problem is that I am not home most of the time and I only have access to email and the web. I can make a quick graphic or respond to email, but working on code away from home is near impossible. On a good night I get two hours of time just before bed, so I hack what I can and I think about things the next day. Sometimes I feel inspired and get a lot done in a little bit of time. Most of the time I get a little bit done. This is why I haven't bothered with any game development contests. This is a hobby for me, my real job is as a father and a husband.

And then there is the issue of internet access. We disconnected TV, phone, and internet earlier this year and have never been happier. Television blights my soul by strengthen my defects and loosening my pockets. The downside is there is only one internet provider in my area and it would cost upwards of $200 to get it. So I borrow a cup of internet from my neighbor. Some nights the wifi connection is bad and I don't get connected. I can still code however.

I really want to see Qix brought to life, but I don't want people to think that I expect to post a project and have others work on it while I reap the rewards. If someone has the time and shares the vision, please take it and make it. I don't mind. I would give almost anything to see something like Qix created. Well, that's not true: I'm willing and able to give a couple of hours at night and a little time besides. I understand if this makes things move slowly, but I have a little boy who deserves my time. My father had to work two jobs to make a living when I was his age, and as a consequence, I feel like we never had a close relationship. If it becomes necessary to work two jobs, then I will, but until then I want to be a better father than programmer.

But I'll still work on Qix.

No comments:

Post a Comment